Papa's Paris Tour
Paris is for strolling and people watching, and sitting at a café with a friend. It is the mecca of an haute couture world obsessed with the aesthetics of everything: food, fashion, horticulture, lighting. It is an enduring home to the penurious artists and writers who flock to its cafés for solitary musings or animated companionship.
Paris evokes a myriad of passions.
At Travellati Tours, it is our joy to delve into the Paris in which the great American artists of the 20th century – icons like Ernest Hemingway and Gertrude Stein – roamed. We will even meet some of these fabled denizens along our route since we like to weave in a little theatrics and whimsy to make the history of a place come alive.
On our Papa's Paris tour, our favorite stops will include:
- La Closerie des Lilas, where we will meet Hemingway himself in the café where he drank and smoked and furiously revised “The Sun Also Rises.”
- Harry’s New York Bar – after the establishment was acquired by the star American jockey Tod Sloan in 1911, he had an entire New York bar dismantled and shipped to Paris. Legend holds that Harry’s invented the Bloody Mary and Sidecar. George Gershwin composed “An American in Paris” at its piano.
- Musée d'Orsay, to see the Cézannes that Hemingway used to admire when they were displayed in the Palais du Luxembourg and which inspired his descriptions of landscapes. He once said he appreciated the paintings even more when he was short of cash and hungry!
- An Art Deco bar reminiscent of the Dingo where Hemingway first met F. Scott Fitzgerald.
Delectable dining, of course, will play an important role in the tour, from swanky brasseries like La Closerie des Lilas to authentic Mom-and-Pop restaurants like Au Père Louis in the Latin Quarter.
Our pace at Travellati is a leisurely stroll to take in our surroundings punctuated by frequent stops for refreshment. Our museum visits will last no more than two hours.
This is just a taste of the experiences we will have – and memories we will create – in Papa’s Paris.
Saturday Arrive at our hotel in Paris, relax, nap, enjoy a "welcome" dinner
Sunday Follow in Hemingway's footsteps in the Latin Quarter, meet "Hemingway" in person, and enjoy live piano jazz while dining at his favorite cafe, the elegant "La Closerie des Lilas"
Monday Enjoy the morning any way you like - sleep in, shop, or explore; then join us to hunt for vintage clothes and esoteric books in the charming boutiques of the Latin Quarter
Tuesday Meet "Gertrude Stein," encounter Hemingway's favorite paintings at the stunning Musée d'Orsay, and indulge in some yummy pastries
Wednesday Enjoy a free morning followed by an afternoon excursion to Monet's House and Garden and the Impressionism Museum at Giverny
Thursday Visit the Musée Picasso and Picasso's and Hemingway's hideaways on the Right Bank
Friday Enjoy a free morning café hopping, then meet the "Fitzgeralds" and "Hemingway" at the a bar followed by an evening of cabaret
Saturday Spend a sporting day at the races, Harry's New York Bar, & the Hemingway Bar at the Ritz
Sunday Pack your memories....
* schedule subject to change
- Three custom designed immersive interactive experiences with actors, musicians, or dancers - a Travellati Tours exclusive feature.
- Eight nights at an intimate boutique hotel in the heart of Paris - your home away from home.
- Meals at a wide variety of excellent restaurants that have passed our stringent standards for delectability, gracious service, and amenities (during your free time, we would be happy to suggest some restaurants hand-picked just for you).
- Outstanding French wines specifically chosen to accompany the dishes served.
- Pre-purchased tickets for train, Metro, and bus to speed you on your way.
- Museum admissions - no waiting in line, more time to wander the museum!
Every tour is personal - please complete the form below and we will call you to arrange your personalized service.